Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Muriel Gertrude Yerex (Bell)


Aunt Muriel was probably my closest aunt from my teenage years until her sudden passing in July of 2009.  She lived in Winnipeg from the early 80's on and my mom and her were very close, getting together often with hours and hours of talks on the phone.

Muriel had very solid morals and expected people to act in a certain way, which wasn't hard.  All you had to do was be a decent person and not try to screw anyone over.  If that happened you would hear about because she was not afraid to let you know about it.

She had a fantastic sense of humour and was an amazing cook as well.  

She had a lot of crappy things done to her after her second marriage ended in his passing and she had a hard time with her husband during his final few years on earth and she deserved better. She could have put up a big stink over it, but she decided to let it go, shame on those people.  I'm only putting this in here because maybe one day they might come across it and realize they were very cruel in my opinion. I won't get into it but they know who they are and I'm sure no one wants to dwell on it, but Donald wouldn't be afraid to talk about it, so you can ask him!

When Muriel first moved back to Winnipeg she actually moved into the suite I grew up in on Wolseley avenue, so it was nice to be able to see my old home for a few years that she lived there.  One school summer vacation I was on my own at home and was able to go to Aunt Muriel's place for lunch or breakfast if I got up early enough.  That was until she found work and that perk ended.

Muriel was a huge curling and baseball fan and loved going to the Goldeyes games with Ed and Carol.  Muriel would ask Ed about certain players and if he put down any of the players she liked, you'd hear, "Put a sock in it Carson! Put a sock in it."

They'd get calls from Muriel during curling games discussing the terrible calls or bad shots or the players they liked or disliked.  She loved a good time and a good party.

Many Christmases were spent at Muriel's place over the years and she made everyone feel welcome.  

During my teenage years, anytime I would tease her about her smoking, I'd hear, "Oh you're just a rotten teenager."  I heard that until I turned 20 and it changed to, "It wasn't long ago you were just a rotten teenager."

The 80's were many memories of Christmas parties at our place or hers, with her infectious laugh.  She seemed to have the most fun at family get together's, reunions or even just us visiting or popping by for coffee.  

Muriel and my mom handled our family reunion of 1987 and when we had the three legged race, the highlight of the reunion was Muriel and mom's three legged running.  It looks like they were running in slow motion. I believe it was the slowest run race in three legged history.

No comments:

Post a Comment