Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mavis Margaret Yerex (Williamson)


I probably spent most of childhood with Aunt Mavis along with Aunt Norma because my cousins Garry, Dale, David, Bruce and Janice were close to my age so we would try and organize a week in Neepawa, a week in Morris and they would come to Winnipeg for a week.  Ideally all at the same time.

We lost Aunt Mavis way too soon on November 15, 2006 at age 70 from leukemia.  

Aunt Mavis was a very kind person and had a tremendous sense of humour and loved telling any story she found funny.

I could go on and on about stories of my visits to Morris and Reston but not all of them can be told here!

Mavis loved children and at family gatherings you could find her watching the kids play and have fun and she would have a half smile enjoying every minute of it.

She taught school and taught David for sure one year and I don't know if I could have handled my mom teaching me at school, but David didn't seem to mind.

I never witnessed Mavis angry.  When she did get upset about something it was a quiet talk with one of the kids she was upset with.  Garry had many of those talks.

Mavis and John loved watching hockey and it didn't matter if it was the WHA, NHL or WHL.  They would watch the Jets in Winnipeg and had season's tickets to the Brandon Wheat Kings in the WHL.  They golfed a lot too.  I remember John mentioning how Mavis would beat him at golf.  A. Because she became a pretty good golfer. and B. Because once the kids were old enough to be on their own Mavis golfed every day between housework and making meals while John was at work.  Some men may have been a little peeved about losing to their wife at golf but John told the story bragging about it.

My fondest memories from childhood summer vacations are at the Williamson's, Fleger's, Burton's, Daune and Joan's, Max and Lorna's, Tom and Judy's.  

You felt welcome in every one of the Yerex siblings' homes and after some of the stories I've heard from people I've met over the years, it's safe to say I was very lucky to be in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment