Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Glen Arthur Yerex



Glen was instrumental to my existence.  Besides my middle name named after him he was also good friends with my dad Ed Carson who met my mom through Glen.  He was a baseball player who was a catcher and caught for his brother Daune and my dad.

Glen married Vera in the 60's and although never had kids himself he did act as a father to me at times when I was growing up as they only lived a few blocks away in the Wolseley area.

Glen smoked and drank and always made sure to tell me to never start either.  He liked to gamble at the races and he liked to have fun.  I got to work construction with him for a few summers and it was a lot of fun.

He talked about my dad like he was a hero.  Always saying he was "Number one."  His stories were always entertaining.  When he was in the hospital during his last few weeks of his life he made sure to tell my kids to not carry on like he did during his life with regards to smoking and drinking.  He always wanted others to be healthy yet he did the exact opposite.

He had a hearty laugh and loved to hear about what was going on in everyone's life.  He loved a good joke.  Enjoyed talking about construction, baseball, hockey and always asking who I thought was going to win the Stanley Cup this year.  I was right maybe once or twice and of course bragged to everyone that I'm never wrong.  He made some great memories growing up in the Wolseley area.


No comments:

Post a Comment